YOU WANT TO GROW, WE’LL GIVE YOU A TEAM TO HELP YOU GET THERE.
Launching in 2022! AdvanceSMART is a new mentorship pilot program for Airdrie entrepreneurs (Owners, CEOs, Presidents) who are experiencing high growth. This program matches a business with a team of three to four mentors to support building growth strategies, tackling challenges and becoming a better business leader. This team mentoring approach is a unique methodology with proven advantages – providing entrepreneurs a temporary board of advisors to help reach ambitious growth goals and build successful companies.
AdvanceSMART’s mentoring model is licensed from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Boston, and joins a number of programs operating in Alberta (including Edmonton, Calgary and Fort McMurray). MIT’s Venture Mentoring Service (VMS) program has been successfully operating for over 20 years and Airdrie was the 104th team around the world to be trained on the model.
The AdvanceSMART mentorship program includes:
- Teams of three to four mentors to support you in building growth strategies, tackling challenges and becoming a better business leader
- Ongoing monthly mentor sessions of 90 minutes in length
- Access to a diverse and experienced group of mentors including accomplished entrepreneurs, C-suite executives and functional experts
- Virtual or in-person sessions – you and your mentor team are in charge of how you connect
- Above and beyond support from our team and your mentors to help you thrive in business
- Unbiased, conflict-free and confidential advice
- Opportunities to connect and network with other local entrepreneurs and our entire mentor group
AdvanceSMART consists of volunteer mentors, who are overseen and supported in their mentoring role by Airdrie Entrepreneur Common’s Program Coordinators.
Mentors are selected for their experience in scaling their own businesses, as C-suite executives or functional experts. To provide the diversity of support required by high growth businesses, they live inside and outside of Airdrie. Mentor and entrepreneur teams are formed based on the needs and preferences of the venture and the interests of the available mentors.
To become a mentor, individuals must:
- Apply and pass a pre-screening evaluation and interview with our Program Coordinators
- Be empathetic, great listeners, assertive and motivated to help
- Complete a day-long mentor training program grounded on building coaching skills
Applications to the program will open later in 2022. We encourage you to connect with us to learn more about this exciting new program – we’d be happy to answer all of your questions and add you to our mailing list.
Don’t meet the eligibility criteria quite yet or unsure if you have the time to commit? Stay connected with AdvanceSMART and receive program updates by subscribing to our e-newsletter.
Airdrie Entrepreneur Common is a non-profit organization proudly operated by the City of Airdrie Economic Development and Community Futures Centre West. But we don’t do it alone! Thank you to our valued partners and sponsors for your continued support of the AdvanceSMART mentorship program and entrepreneurship in Airdrie.